The Serêkaniyê Displaced Persons Committee prepared a report on war crimes committed by the Turkish state during its occupation of Ras al-Ayn (Serêkaniyê) and Tell Abyad (Girê Spî) since 2019 and submitted it to the United Nations, the Global Coalition against ISIS, and to Russian and US delegations, Hawar News Agency reported on Thursday.
According to the report, Turkish troops have murdered 67 people, including four women, and kidnapped 511 people, including 68 women and 42 children, in three years of occupation.
Since 2019, the troops have also tortured 325 people and jailed 92 people for extended periods or for life, the committee said.
Turkey has been criticised for actively changing the demographic makeup of both towns, resulting in the displacement of approximately 300,000 people from the region.
The Committee launched a campaign entitled “Safe Return is a Legitimate Right” on 8 October, marking the third anniversary of the Turkish occupation of what is known locally as the M4 International Highway.
On October 11th, it organized a symposium for those displaced in Sere Kaniye IDP camp near Heseke to discuss the violations occurring in the Turkish-occupied territories and introduce the work of the Displaced Committee to the camp residents. pic.twitter.com/p2xX0nPT3U
— Rojava Information Center (@RojavaIC) October 13, 2022
Tell Abyad Military Council previously revealed figures showing 412 attacks by Turkish forces in and around Tell Abyad and Ain Issa in August.
“We have sent numerous reports to international parties and legal organisations to ensure they comply with human rights standards and regulations and meet their obligations,” Serêkaniyê Displaced Persons Committee Foreign Relations Officer Ciwan Iso said, lamenting the silence of international organisations in the face of what he called were Turkey’s documented crimes.