On 30 July 2021, seven members of one Kurdish family living in the Meram district of Konya were brutally murdered at their home by their racist neighbours. The Dedeoğlu family had been subjected to threats by these neighbours over the last 15 years as well as having been attacked last May, when some members of the family were seriously injured.
After news of the the incident, the Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP) held an urgent meeting and issued a press statement in which Co-Chair and Mardin MP Mithat Sancar stated that a delegation from the party will be in Konya today, Saturday. Sancar said that the main responsibility for the massacre lies with the government, and called on the leaders of all opposition parties and forces of democracy in Turkey to come to Konya.
The Diyarbakır Bar Association launched a Vigil for Justice outside the Tahir Elçi Conference Hall to protest the massacre of the Kurdish family in Konya, MA reported.
Candles were lit for the seven people killed in the racist attack during the vigil, which was attended by Diyarbakır Bar Association Chair Nahit Eren, members of the Kurdish Language Commission of the Bar Association and members of the Association of Lawyers for Freedom (ÖHD).
The Istanbul Branch of the HDP called for a protest to be held at Taksim Tunel at 7pm on 31 July, while the Ankara Branch called for a protest outside Çankaya Municipality in Ankara.
“We will not remain silent about the racist massacre in Konya. The HDP and the Kurdish people have been targeted for months. We expect all our people to come to the press conference to be held outside Çankaya Municipality on 7pm on Saturday 31 July.” they said.
When news of the massacre arrived Kurds living in Freiburg took to the streets to protest the murders. The protests will continue and actions will also be organised in various cities of Europe against the murder of the Dedeoğlu Family, today.
The bodies of the seven victims, mother İpek, father Yaşar and their children Serpil, Serap, Sibel, Barış and Metin Dedeoğlu were taken to Konya City Hospital for autopsy last night. It was reported that journalists who went to the hospital to follow news of the family while the bodies were still there, were blocked by police.
The bodies of the victims will be buried in Saraçoğlu Cemetery in Karatay district after afternoon prayers.